Content marketing is an invaluable tool for promoting a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) product. It can be used for every component of your buyer’s journey, including awareness, conversion and delight (loyalty). For instance, you can use SaaS content marketing for creating brand and product awareness, nurturing prospects, converting prospects, and supporting customers post purchase. Creating helpful, high quality content at each one of these customer interaction points leads to more sales. It also leads to happier customers over the lifetime of them using your products.
Below are three tips to help you create successful content marketing campaigns for your SaaS product.
You may also like: SaaS Content Marketing: the What, Why and How
What is SaaS Content Marketing?
At a high level, SaaS content marketing is the strategic creation and distribution of content for SaaS companies and SaaS products.
Diving in a bit more it is the strategic and intentional act of creating and distributing high-quality content. Further it is distributing it through the appropriate channels and in the appropriate frequency to a target audience to achieve your marketing goals.
So content marketing for your SaaS company isn’t just creating random content for anyone and randomly distributing it to everyone. It is the opposite. Content marketing is a very strategic process. Content is carefully and purposefully created to cover specific topics for a specific target audience which consumes it on specific channels.
The ultimate intent is to engage potential customers, increase brand awareness, get conversions (new users), and support them post purchase.
In turn, SaaS content marketing involves creating content tailored to the different stages of the buyer’s journey. At a high level these stages include awareness, consideration, decision, and support (or delight).
It involves leveraging various channels including social media, websites, blogs, newsletters, etc.
6 Tips for Effective SaaS Content Marketing
Effective content marketing is not about creating a lot of bad content. This is a common mistake practiced by SaaS and other companies. And bad quality, inaccurate content issues have been exaggerated recently by Ai software, particularly Ai content writing software. These are a great tool for ideas, helping break through writer’s block, and drafts/outlines, etc. But they should not be viewed as stand-alone content solutions.
In the end you as a content marketing leader or content marketer need to create unique, helpful/valuable, accurate content that will attract, convert and support customers.
That brings us to six high-level tips for effective SaaS content marketing. This is just an introduction article so we will not dive into each one in detail. Make sure you sign up for our email list if you want to be notified about further content marketing articles and guides.
1. Start by Understanding Your Target Audience
First, you must not waste your time creating content for everybody. You want to really grind down to your target audience.
So it is important to understand and define who are you trying to reach with your content. It is important to understand that party’s specific needs and pain points. Once you understand your target audience, you can tailor your content to appeal to them specifically. Get personal and hit their pain points, answer their questions, and provide them value.
2. Focus on Quality Content
The internet is filled with bad content, inaccurate content, and copy-cat content. In order for your brand to stand out you need to create quality, helpful, valuable content.
Below we give some tips for creating high quality content.
- Create content that is relevant, or in other words that your audience cares about
- Create SaaS content that provides true value to your target audience: your content should be well-written, well-organized, easy to read, engaging, informative, and visually appealing
- Write content that is clear, concise, and actionable
- Optimize your content for your audience first and search engines next
This is a critical topic. That’s why we created a guide on this specifically. You can read more in our guide on What is Good Content? 4 Critical Factors For Creating Good Content.
3. Utilize Multiple Platforms
As a SaaS marketer you will need to understand where your target audience gets its information. Once you understand that you need to create strategic content for those platforms specifically.
Below are some tips on distributing your SaaS content to multiple platforms.
- Post content regularly on the right platforms: posting consistently shows you are actively engaged with your audience and gives them a better idea of when and what they can expect to see from your brand
- Optimize content for each platform accordingly – understand what works best of each platform, and produce or repurpose content that works for each
- Engage with your audience to build relationships: engagement grabs attention, and it shows your audience that you care about them, want their feedback/opinions, and are listening to them
- Repurpose your content so it is effective for different platforms
4. Incorporate Visuals
Visuals help grab attention, show information visually, and break up large chunks of text. But they also are a great way to add branding and personality to your content.
Below are some tips for incorporating visuals (creative) into your SaaS content.
- Visuals help set your content apart: use visuals to break up long chunks of text, provide information in an alternative format, and grab attention
- Use visuals specific to your audience: use visuals that are a fit for your target audience, such as videos, images, and infographics
- Design visuals for each platform for maximum impact – similar to creating content for each platform you should also use creative that works for each platform
5. Make Sure you Promote Your Content.
Once you’ve created great content, you need to get it in front of your target audience. Hitting the publish button is not enough.
There are many channels where you can promote your content. These include social media, email marketing, and paid advertising, among others.
6. Analyze, Test and Update Your Content Regularly
One of the biggest areas for improvement is publishing content and never paying attention to it again. No matter how perfect you think your content is there is always ways that you can improve it once you start analyzing it. That analysis will involve SEO factors, conversion factors, and other factors. Use your analytic tools to help you maximize the performance of your content.
- Analyze the performance of your content using analytic tools to optimize both that piece of content and future content
- A/B test content to identify what works best – this can include testing both components of the content (headlines, visuals, etc.) or entirely different versions
- Stay up-to-date with trends and adjust your content accordingly over time
- Update your content with additional helpful information and updates if things change either with your products or in the industry
By following these tips, you can create effective SaaS content that will help you grow your business.
Creating effective SaaS content is essential for any SaaS company that wants to grow. You can attract new customers, engage existing customers, drive sales, and keep your customers happy (via support and helpful content) by creating high-quality, informative content that is relevant to your target audience.
SaaS content can be used for every component of the buyer’s journey. And creating helpful, high quality content at each one of these customer interaction points leads to more sales. It also leads to happier customers over the lifetime of them using your products.
Have questions or need help with your SaaS marketing? Schedule a call with our content marketing team to get started.